Get structured field experience that enables you to explore potential careers, refine your technical skills, and acquire knowledge!
To Set Up the Internship
- Locate and arrange your internship placement from suggestions of faculty, the Career Services Coordinator, or through your own community contacts.
- Complete the Student Placement Confirmation form with your internship site supervisor to give to your supervising faculty member.
- Meet with the Career Services Coordinator (at the nearest campus) to arrange your Internship Study Contract (ISC).
- Have your Supervising Faculty and Division Dean review and sign your ISC.
- Verde Valley Students meet with the Verde Campus Career Services Coordinator to complete internship registration.
- Prescott Students, take the ISC to the YC Registration Office to sign up and pay registration fees.
To Complete the Internship
- Complete the necessary internship hours (135 hours/3 credits).
- Review your work performance with your supervisor/employer.
- Meet with your faculty member for review of learning objectives and final grade.
For Supervising Faculty
Are you the Supervising Faculty for a YC Student Intern?
Typically students will have completed a majority of credits towards their degree. The Division Dean may deny internship placement to any student if they feel the student is not ready to enter the workplace, or the placement does not offer adequate opportunity to fulfill the requirements for Yavapai College credit.
To Set Up the Internship:
When meeting with your student, they should have a determined internship site employer and a job description or knowledge of the position.
Have an initial meeting with the student to accomplish the following:
- Determine the Student Learning Outcomes for the Internship
- Outline the Outcomes Assessment measures, including a timetable for completion
- Fully complete and sign the Internship Study Contract
- Have your Division Dean/Program Director Sign the Internship Study Contract
Report any questions or concerns about internship arrangements, possible OSHA, wage and hour, or other hazards or violations directly to the Career Services Coordinator on your local campus.
To Complete the Internship:
Meet with the student at least twice during the internship to monitor and evaluate their progress. Meetings may be conducted face-to-face, by telephone, or by email.
- Provide guidance for successful completion of required assignments
- Review any work evaluations from the employer, and discuss these evaluations with the student.
- Ensure that the student has completed the required number of hours/credits (135 hours/3 credits)
Assign a final grade for the course based on the following:
- Accomplishment of the student learning outcomes
- Completion of the Outcomes Assessment Measures
- Any input from the employer evaluations
Are you interested in working with a qualified YC Student?
To set up the Internship
- Contact the Career Services Representative on the YC Campus nearest you for any questions concerning internship qualifications.
- Conduct a selection interview or meeting with the student(s) to clarify the position and work goals.
- Complete the Student Placement Confirmation form with the student and have them return it to their supervising YC Faculty.
During the Internship
- Conduct an orientation and any needed specialized training for the student
- Provide any necessary resources for the student to perform their responsibilities.
- Supervise and monitor student activities to ensure progress toward completion of work goals
- At the end of the internship, complete the Student Performance Evaluation form with the student. The student should use this feedback for evaluation wit supervising faculty.