YC Student Leadership Council
The deadline for 2014-15 applications was April 6.
SLC is dedicated to promoting student involvement on all six Yavapai College campuses. It is our goal to empower students, encouraging them to have a voice in their education and their college experience serving as a liaison between enrolled student of Yavapai College and the faculty, administration and college staff.
Voicing students' ideas, opinions, and considerations!
The SLC exists to allow students of Yavapai College a place to voice concerns, ideas, opinions and considerations to address to the faculty, staff and administration of YC. In addition the SLC exists to provide service learning on several levels to both the college itself and the surrounding areas of Yavapai County.
Why join SLC?
The members of the SLC help conduct studies, surveys, polls and other forms of collecting information pertaining to issues related to everyday operations at YC especially those that may impact students.
Become a Member
- You will have the chance to develop leadership philosophies and skills on both an individual and group basis.
- You will be able to provide a valuable service to Yavapai College and the local communities.
- You will be given the chance to participate in teambuilding activities.
- You will learn to designs, lead and complete community service projects.
- The SLC will help build your resume and contact list for future employment and education opportunities.
What role can I play?
- You will serve as a liaison and represent the opinions of YC students.
- You will have the opportunity to serve on district wide committees and give input for change that will affect governance for YC students.
- Overall be a voice for students at YC.
SLC members served on a Textbook Study Committee, to review & provide input for lowering textbook costs.
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Make a commitment of at least 2 semesters to the program.
- Stay enrolled in at least 12 credit hours a semester 9 of which need to be relating to a certificate, degree or other transferable option.
- Attend SLC meeting which are typically held the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month. Times are TBD upon acceptance of appointment to SLC.
- Be in good standing with Yavapai College and Campus Safety.
- For additional information please see the 2013-2014 SLC contracts.
What can SLC do for me?
In exchange for your service, SLC members will receive scholarship money. All SLC students will be provided financial aid to cover up to 15 full time credit hours. In addition to a tuition scholarship, SLC students receive partial aid for books, room and board. The amount may vary, for further information please see the application guidelines for a more detailed breakdown of aid.
Current Projects and or upcoming events
- March 2nd Tri College Leadership Conference
- Location Prescott College
- Start Time 8:00 am
- SLC meetings 1st and 3rd Friday’s of the Month 1:00-3:00
- Planning for community service projects.