Frequently Asked Questions

  How do I apply for financial aid?

You (and your parents, if applicable) must apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN first, then complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and include YC as your school (school code: 001079).

  I filled out my FAFSA and received aid last year. Do I need to do it again this year?

Yes. In order to remain eligible for financial aid you must complete a FAFSA each academic year.

  Is my financial aid file complete?

Log onto the website to check the status of your financial aid file. Go to My Services, Students, My Financial Aid, then select Eligibility. All documents marked N - Not Received are required for your file. If no document requirements exist, your file is complete and no action is required on your part. Your file is complete when all documents are marked S - Reviewed & Satisfied.

  I recently completed my entrance counseling online. Why does it show as needed on my YC webpage?

Entrance counseling completion notifications are sent electronically to YC by the Dept. of Education regularly. However, it may take 3-5 days to show as a satisfied requirement on your YC My Financial Aid page.

  I submitted my FAFSA weeks ago. Why haven't I heard anything?

It takes 7-10 business days for YC to receive your FAFSA once submitted. When your application is received, we will send you an email outlining what you should do next. This email will be sent to the email address you listed on your FAFSA.

  Will I be awarded the amount of student aid (grants and loans) my FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) shows I'm eligible for?

Not necessarily. We will review your FAFSA results and award a Federal Pell Grant based on your eligibility. If that amount does not cover all of your educational costs, you may be eligible for a student loan.

  When is financial aid disbursed?

The type of aid you are awarded, the number of credits you are enrolled in and the start date of your classes will affect the amount of your disbursement and when you may receive a disbursement. The first disbursement for financial aid is approximately 10 days after the beginning of the semester. Review the Attending Hours Policy for more information and the Financial aid Calendar for disbursement dates.

  Can I use financial aid to buy my books?

Students are eligible to charge books if they have been awarded financial aid and have a credit balance after all tuition, fees and room and board charges have been posted. Students will have the opportunity to charge books for a limited time. Please see the financial aid calendar for specific dates.

  After I submitted my FAFSA, I lost my job and my income has changed. Do I need to fill out an updated one?

No. Contact the Financial Aid Office and speak with a Financial Aid Advisor regarding your eligibility to petition for Income Reduction: (928) 776-2152.

  Why does the FAFSA ask for my parents' information? I've been on my own since age 18, and I pay my own taxes.

Federal Financial Aid programs consider you a dependent of your parents until you are 24 years of age. Your parent's income information and signature is required on your FAFSA. The following exceptions may apply: if the student is married, if the student has a dependent child, or if the student has an honorable military discharge. Contact a financial aid advisor for more information: (928) 776-2152.

  If I drop a class will it affect my financial aid and will I owe money?

Changes to your class schedule can affect your continued eligibility for aid. If you withdraw from a class, you will not owe money but it will lower your rate of progression. If you completely withdraw from all classes, not only will you lower your rate of progression but you may also have to pay back some of your financial aid. See the Withdrawal Policy and the SAP Policy for more information.

  I have a PELL grant, so why does my account show a balance due?

Your account will show a balance due until your financial aid funds are received from the Department of Education. Funds are generally received after the semester begins and your attendance in classes has been verified. See our Financial Aid policies page for more information.

  How do I apply for Federal Work Study?

Please see our Student Employment page for more information.

  How do I apply for scholarships?

Please see our Scholarship page for more information.

  I received a private or department scholarship. Why doesn't it show on my account?

Scholarships are posted to students' accounts once the award letter and check have been received from the donor. Students are encouraged to follow up with the donor to see when the check was or will be sent to YC. Once received, the scholarship should be on the account within a few days.

  Where can I find out how much I owe in student loans?

The website is a central database of your financial aid history. You can find information on loan and/or grant amounts, outstanding balances, loan statuses, and disbursements.