English and Math Skills Assessment
Why take the skills assessment?
Prior to scheduling an appointment with an academic advisor, you must take the reading, writing, and math COMPASS assessments. Click here for Academic Advising information.
If you have taken a college placement assessment (COMPASS, ASSET, or Accuplacer) it may be possible to use part or all the scores for placement. Math scores must be 2 years old or less. Accuplacer scores must include the "Sentence Skills" assessment for English placement not "WritePlacer".
If you have taken the AIMS, SAT, or ACT test and have scores at or above the scores listed below, it may be possible to use part or all the scores for placement. Math scores must be 2 years old or less.
- To meet the Reading Proficiency Requirement: AIMS 705, SAT 400, ACT 17
- To place into ENG101: SAT 420, ACT 18
- To place into MAT092,100: ACT 18
- To place into MAT122: ACT 21
- To place into MAT142,152,187: SAT 530, ACT 23
- To place into MAT156,157,167,172,212,220: ACT 28
To discuss using alternate test scores, please contact the Testing Center at (928) 776-2200. Please fax score reports to (928) 717-7861 with your phone number attached.
You may be able to assess at another institution near you. Many community colleges will proctor their assessment for a fee to non-students. We will accept mailed, faxed, or emailed copies of COMPASS, Accuplacer, or ASSET score reports from other institutions. Our course placement may differ from those of these institutions. Accuplacer scores must include the "Sentence Skills" assessment for English placement not "WritePlacer".
You may wish to contact us first to locate a COMPASS remote test site. This will allow us to set up the test from our campus. The score report you receive will then have our course placement messages.
- This is not an admissions test
- Testing is untimed and completed on the computer
- There is no fee for YC Students
- Bring photo ID to the assessment, and know YC student ID number (your Y number).
Accommodations are available through the Disability Resources Office.
An appointment to complete the skills assessment at any Yavapai College Campus can be made by calling: 928.776.2200.