Web Services is responsible for designing, developing, maintaining, and supporting most public and internal web sites in the yc.edu domain. We maintain several other web-enabled applications, like the Library Services external database access, streaming video server, etc.
Web Services can help you...
- develop your web site2
hello there, I am a tooltip
- provide you with access to detailed statistics for your web site, including number of visitors, most popular pages, etc.
- create interactive online forms for your visitors
- assist you in getting photographs or other multimedia items for your site
Web Services departmental responsibilities are to...
- 1. Design and develop new website templates and navigation (header, footer, breadcrumbs, etc.).
- 2. Design and implement new back-end technology to support the website.
- 3. Analyze and implement new web-based and web-accessible software for institutional or departmental use.
- 4. Provide direct support to web authors for each department (ap. 100).
- 5. Provide training to all departmental web site managers and/or their designees.
- 6. Proactively monitor and maintain all YC web sites and web applications.
- 7. Monitor availability and responsiveness of servers.
- 8. Maintain security of applications and content.
- 9. Support and maintain streaming video infrastructure for academic use.
- 10. Maintain and/or support academic web applications including Blackboard, Tegrity, and course-specific applications (e.g. FrontPage).
- 11. Plan, install, and maintain public and private-use network cameras and related equipment.
- 12. Plan, install, and maintain YC weather stations and related equipment.
Web author responsibilities are to...
- Create and maintain departmental web site and web pages.
- Attend one or more of the training classes offered by WSS.
- Proactively review and update content as appropriate.
Web Services Team and Support Personnel
It takes talented, intelligent, hard-working people to develop and maintain something that changes hourly and which is visited more than 10,000 times per week. Our team is composed of individuals from within Information Technology Services, with the assistance from various other department throughout the school on an intermittent basis.
Core Team People:
- Patrick Burns, CIO of Information Technology Services.
Patrick oversees all web undertakings and heads all coordination efforts with other college departments.
- Sean Hagan, Web Services Manager.
Sean is the team leader and also functions as systems engineer and web programmer.
- Mark St. Laurent, Web Systems Administrator.
Michael maintains the servers, applications, and other hardware and software that run the web site.
- Jerry Zaryczny, Senior Web Designer.
Jerry develops web site architecture and builds all online templates.
- Kate Kohl, Web Content Specialist.
Kate develops and maintains all online web content and web site designs, as well as coordinating web marketing efforts.
- Web Authors, All Departments.
The departmental web authors at YC maintain content for their respective web sites.
We utilize photographs extensively throughout this site. Principal in-house photographers include: Jerry Zaryczny, Kate Kohl, and Web Services' student workers. Stock photography is provided by istockphoto.com, sxc.hu, Corbis, and Getty Images.
Video equipment, video conversion and streaming services are available for faculty.
Upcoming Training Opportunities
Search This Website
To search only the Information Technology Services website, enter text in the box below, then click 'Search'.