Skip to main content Disability Resources

Multi-Factor Authentication

ITS home page

MFAIntroducing Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)

MFA (sometimes referred to as "two-step authentication") involves entering your username and password as you cururently do, but then providing an additional source of information to verify your identity using something you have, such as your smartphone, a simple cellphone or landline, or a security token.

This allows us to better protect your account against the risk of data breaches and compromised passwords - even if someone is able to ascertain your username and password, it's unlikely that they would also have access to your cellphone.

Why are we doing this?

Quite simply, it's a best practice to support (or require) MFA for access to critical services or services that store sensitive information.  It's also becoming a routine question that we are asked by our insurance providers and state auditor group.  Beyond that, we feel that we can simultaneously improve the security of (and reduce the risk to) the College while also providing additional benefits to those who adopt MFA, thereby making the process a positive experience for everyone.

When will I get it?

Starting in first quarter 2018, we'll complete enrollment of full-time faculty and move on to adjunct faculty in second quarter, 2018.

Want to enroll early?

We'd be delighted to get you started - just contact (or call 717-7722) to schedule something with us.

Having trouble w/ MFA?

Need help enrolling, modifying, or removing a device?  Please contact the ITS Helpdesk - or 928-776-2168 (24/7) for assistance.

Have specific questions about the MFA project, such as timing, applicability, coverage, etc.?

Please contact Information Security - or 928-717-7722 for assistance.

How many devices can/should I enroll?

You can enroll as many devices as you like, however we recommend that you associate at least two devices with your account.  We strongly recommend that the primary device associated with your account is a smartphone (or cellphone).  Beyond that, register whatever device will be most convenient to you - your office telephone, your home telephone, etc.

What kinds of devices can I enroll?

You can enroll smartphones, "dumb"phones (or any cellular phone operating only for voice calls or SMS/text messages), landline telephones, and security tokens.

What happens if I don't have access to my enrolled device, or I don't have cellular or wifi service?

Don't worry - if you enrolled a smartphone and have the device but no service, you can open the "Duo Mobile" app and tap the key icon next to the "Yavapai College" application to generate a one-time code.  Lost your phone or away from your enrolled landline?  Call the ITS Helpdesk for assistance (see contact info above).

What if I lose an enrolled device?

Please contact the ITS Helpdesk as soon as practical for assistance.  The Helpdesk can assist with enrolling a new device and removing the old one from your account.

My cell phone has broken and is being repaired - what do I do in the meantime?

Please contact the ITS Helpdesk for a temporary security token that can be assigned to you for up to two weeks while your enrolled device is being repaired/replaced.