Disability Resources Skip to main content

Non-Academic Complaints

The Yavapai College process for non-academic complaints is to be used for issues other than disciplinary or academic matters and provides students protection against unwarranted infringement of their rights. A non-academic student complaint may concern an alleged violation of college policies, infringement of student rights, and other such problems dealing with students, college staff and faculty, and authorized college activities.

Formal Statement of Student Complaint

The following procedures will be followed to insure an appropriate resolution of a student non-academic complaint at the lowest possible level:

  1. The student will attempt to rectify the complaint with the person or party directly involved in the alleged violation within ten (10) college business days. For the purpose of this policy, a “business day” shall be a weekday during which regular classes are being held at the college. Every effort will be made to resolve the complaint at the lowest possible level.
  2. Where resolution is impossible or unsatisfactory to either party, the student should appeal to the appropriate supervisor within ten (10) college business days. The supervisor will informally discuss the matter with the student in an effort to resolve the complaint.
  3. If the student feels the complaint has not been resolved, they may submit a written complaint to the Dean for Student Services within ten (10) college working days from the time the complaint was filed at the previous level. The Dean will work with all parties involved to mediate the complaint in a timely manner. In order to mediate the complaint, the Dean may engage faculty or staff members relevant to the complaint in an informal discussion. The decision of the Dean of Student Services regarding a non-academic complaint is final.

Distance Education students outside of Arizona, after completion of the institution's internal complaint process, may appeal SARA related complaints to the Arizona Community College Coordinating Council (AC4).

Sexual harassment, discipline and discrimination complaints

Complaints of sexual harassment or discrimination should be directed to the Title IX Coordinator, Monica Belknap (928) 776-2211, or the Human Resources department.

Academic Complaint form - to appeal an academic or instructional decision, follow the academic complaint process.